Monday, November 29, 2010

The Christmas Tree Adventure

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend.  Hopefully all of the Thanksgiving leftovers have been eaten, and if you were really ambitious your tree may even be up.  Ours is!



BUT it isn't decorated because we're too mad at the tree right now to make it look pretty.  I'll give you a little recap of my adventure with this tree.

My grandparents were generous enough to give us one of their trees again this year, but this time T wasn't with me to see the process through...  Last year the experience was pretty uneventful - except for the fact that we only had his Honda for the drive home, so we were those people who had a tree sticking out of our back passenger seat window.  We made it to Raleigh with the tree, but it took us a few hours to thaw out since we had to drive 3 hours home with the window down in 40 degree weather.  But this was a new year, and I was going to brave the tree farm without T!

My Mom, Dad and brother helped me pick out this gorgeous tree that didn't seem abnormally large...



 
And of course we couldn't just tie it to the top of the Jeep, the boys suggested this method instead...




Yes, I know.  But since I wasn't going to volunteer to help with tying it to the top of the Jeep, I lost my right to complain.  I had a long day ahead with this tree, so I just decided to make the best of it and enjoy the Christmas scent in my car...even if it was a tad bit overwhelming.

My Mom and I then headed down the mountain to do some furniture shopping in Hickory thanks to Nikki's recommendations. 


 And we found a table!!! - not this one, but I'll put pictures up next week once we get it to our house!  We had convinced the movers at the furniture store to help us tie the tree to the top of the car so that I could surprise T with the table and chairs when he got home...but after they got the tree out they realized that the table wasn't fitting in my Jeep.  So, I was stuck with the huge tree with me in the car once again. 

And can I just say that I have the BEST Mom in the world.  If I am half as good as a Mother as she is, I'll be in good shape!  She has set the bar high, and I'm so thankful for that.  And for her - I love you Mom!

After saying our goodbyes...which I always dread, I  headed to Greensboro to have dinner with two of my dear friends, Lauren and Mackenzie.  We enjoyed some yummy Japanese food and caught up on each other's lives.  I'm so proud of both of them and all they have accomplished!  They are both SO talented, and we have all come quite a ways since our early college years!  Love you girls!  Can't wait to do it again at Christmas!


Then I headed home to meet T and tackle our Christmas tree.  That by now had shed about 7,589,201 needles in my car.  As T began to put on the stand, we realized that the trunk was too big.  Of course.  We did not have a bigger stand or a saw, so I figured we would just borrow one from someone the next day and leave the tree in the car for the night.  But T says, "I'll be back with reinforcements", and returns with a kitchen knife ( that by the way, won't even cut through French bread), hammer and a pocket knife.  And this is why I love him!  So here is what happened next...









And he got it to fit!  It may have taken an hour, but it was up and looking beautiful by midnight!  I have the best fiance!  We have had to adjust the stand about 43 times since, so that the 9 foot tree won't go through our window but it's been totally worth it.  Hopefully we'll let go of our grudge against the tree soon, and muster up enough love to buy some lights and decorations for it...

1 comment:

  1. Very awesome. Go Thomas. What happened with the table and chairs?

    And by the way, that is quite the florescent shirt (sweatshirt?) Thomas is wearing.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments!