Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  I hope you all have a wonderful day spending time with friends and family while enjoying yummy food!

I just wanted to share a few things with you that I was inspired by yesterday that I thought would inspire you all as well.  I started off my morning rushing around like a mad woman because of course I had waited until the last minute to pack for Boone.  I always seem to sleep in until the last possible minute hitting my snooze button upwards of 7 times even though it makes my mornings miserable because I'm always racing to beat the clock which then puts me in a bad mood.  And last morning was no different. 

I am a HUGE fan of Bob and the Showgram which is a local talk show on G105.  I not only listen to them every morning on the radio, but I also listen to my iheartradio iPhone App that plays their shows on demand every morning while I get ready - just to make sure I haven't missed anything good from the day before.  They make my mornings so much brighter by making me laugh while I do dreaded things such as dry my hair, pick out an outfit, and race through Glenwood traffic to make it downtown to work on time. 

Yesterday they had a special show from 6 AM to 6 PM called Bob's Buddies to raise money to benefit the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation and raised $156,941.51!  While I was on the way to work they were talking about the importance of raising money for research due to the fact that the amount of kids who have brain tumors is small in comparison to other sicknesses so the funds are limited.  They were talking about how you don't see the side effects of radiation ( a commonly used method for children diagnosed) until much later on down the road, so it's important for doctors to research different kinds of tumors so they know how to successfully treat the cancer while minimizing the long term damaging effects of the treatment at the same time.  They interviewed families of kids who had been diagnosed with brain tumors as well as the kids themselves.  It was SO inspiring to hear the hope in these families' voices even in the worst of circumstances. 

It's amazing how quick we are to complain about the little things.  These kids and families are struggling every day, and their only wish is to live a normal life with these precious children free of hospitals and constant worry.  We should all say a quick prayer of thanks every day that we are able to wake up healthy and go about our everyday activities without a sickness to get in the way.  I continued to listen to the radiothon from 4-6 while I was on the way up to Boone, and I will never forget hearing those little voices just as happy as could be singing and laughing, radiating more joy than you can imagine despite their diagnosis.   

Bob's Buddies is still taking donations, and I challenge you to make a pledge.  You can click on this LINK to contribute. 

I also heard this SONG on the way home that was inspiring.  It really resonated with me especially after listening to the radiothon for Bob's Buddies, and I think we all need to take time to appreciate our family, friends and health not just today but every day.  We never know what tomorrow will bring, so "slow down before our day becomes our yesterday".   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments!