Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I have a theory...

...that you can tell a lot about your man and your relationship while doing things like moving and assembling furniture.  I think I'll put Christmas decorating in this category too.

I think that the way a man reacts to inconveniences and obstacles such as...well, we'll just take a Christmas tree being too big for the stand as an example...says a lot about the way he'll treat other obstacles (such as relationship-related ones).  And trust me, I've had a lot of experience with this lately (furniture/decorating problems not relationship problems, thank goodness).  Between moving obnoxiously heavy/awkward furniture up the 257 stairs in our town home (what does it take for a girl to get a handle or 2 these days), running out of garland and finding out that the lights we bought at Big Lots were indoor only (which apparently means they only have the single plug...not a connector on the other end...I mean really what's the point of that), we have had our fill of pain in the the you know what situations lately.  Not to mention our latest table and chair assembly fiasco (T did this project all by himself while I was babysitting...that included battling a blizzard just to get the furniture down to Raleigh).  The way T reacts in these types of situations is why I'm marrying him (or at least one of the reasons why).

Even if our tree stand is too small, or our Christmas lights won't connect or he realizes he's going to be moving the furniture solo (apparently I need to hit the weight room), he always finds a way to get the job done (and I owe him all the credit because I'm usually the pessimist saying, "I guess we'll just have a half lit porch", or "I guess we'll just have to leave the tree in the car for another night until we find a saw", or "this table is just going to have to stay in our garage forever").  I'm not saying all of this just to brag about what a wonderful fiance I have (well maybe a little), but if you want to give your man a test, I have just the thing.  Make him move a piece of furniture, and it has to be something that will be inevitably maddening.  Or, have him assemble something, and it has to have at least 30 parts and a few of the necessary parts MUST be missing.  Or if you really want to test him, suggest a real Christmas tree this year.   

Some guys will be easily frustrated and spout off all kinds of expletives and will maybe even just quit, and others will remain calm (just to please you even though they are most definitely cursing your name on the inside) and will do whatever it takes to get the task done so that you're happy.  And believe me, a lot of the guys who just give up and walk away probably will have a tendency to do the same thing when it comes to problems in your relationship.  I've seen it in action.  Like they say, "when the going gets tough, the tough get going" (this may have nothing to do with the point I'm trying to make, but it just popped into my head).  And this is the type of guy you want - a PROACTIVE one who is not a complainer...because that's your job, right!

I'm definitely not a relationship expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I know a pattern when I see one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments!