Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Trashy

So, I'm pretty sure T and I committed a garbage/recycling faux pas yesterday...


The table and chairs T just recently assembled came with an ungodly amount of styrofoam and cardboard, and since our downstairs is completely unfurnished, he decided that it would be the appropriate place to put all of it.  I had been trying to calm my inner OCD self and not worry about it, but by Monday night I had to do something about it.  I told T that it was causing me anxiety knowing that all of that garbage was in the house, so he laughed and agreed to help me compact it into our bins.  I'm not an expert on curbside etiquette, but I'm pretty sure the polite thing would have been to keep half of it for next week's trash pick up.  We obviously didn't let our conscience get the best of us Monday night.

I was, however, feeling guilty about it by yesterday morning, and of course the garbage truck decided to come right as it was time for me to leave for work.  And naturally, I decided it was worth it to be a few minutes late for work than to come face to face with the garbage man who now most definitely hates us.  So I hid inside until he left.  And it's pretty sad when the first text you send your fiance is, "they took the trash!".  I mean what was I expecting?  A nasty note or my bins to get keyed?  

Maybe I have nothing to worry about, and this type of thing is totally acceptable, but I feel like the bins are supposed to be able to close.  And if they can't...well...then you are probably just supposed to wait for the next pick up.  I grew up in Boone, NC where we didn't have the luxury of such things as trash pick up.  You actually had to take your trash to the dump (or at least we did), so I don't know the rules.

Also, now that I'm looking at this picture, I just realized that we set our trash right in front of our neighbors yard, not ours...good thing they haven't moved in yet.  

And I'm sure at least one neighbor saw me taking a picture of our trash bins Monday night.

We have got to start trying to keep it classy.

And I can't believe I just wrote an entire post about trash.  I need to get out more.

Oh, and by the way, I've been making some changes on the blog, and now you don't have to be a member to post a comment.  I would love to hear from you!          

1 comment:

  1. The latest in my trash drama...the bear (yes, I said bear) and I continue to dual over who does the trash belong to. I put the trash can out for pickup, only for the bear to feast before the men arrive. I come home to hunt through the woods for my can and unfortunately to pick up the scattered trash. Today was my day. I was going to win this battle. We are home for a snow day. I would see the trash men arrive. I had Christmas treats ready for them. I decided to take a shower. I heard the truck backing up the driveway as I was drying off. I quickly throw some sweats on, grab the 2 bags, and run out the door. The guy on the back sees me..waving the 2 bags of trash, dripping wet, and yelling. I thought I heard the truck stop. I chased them down the road (hurdling the icy spots landing in the snow piles) only to realize the truck has quickly disappeared. Surely they weren't running FROM the crazy wet lady! I walked slowly back to the house noticing how numb my bare feet were. I proceeded to draw warm bath water to regain feeling in my feet. Well, the bear didn't win..unless he watched me chase the trash men! Later, I drove to the dumpster. Oh...I ate the Christmas treats!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments!