Monday, January 17, 2011

I only like you when you give me cookies

My little brother, Cal, sent me this hilarious You Tube video last week...


First of all, this little boy is absolutely adorable.  Those cheeks...come on. 

Secondly, I'm a lover of analogies, and this reminded me of how we sometimes view our relationship with the Lord.  It's really easy to love someone when they're giving you cookies.  When life is going the way you want it to.  But what about when life is giving you lemons instead of cookies?  When nothing is going your way?  

It's easy for me to let life get in the way of my relationship with the Lord.  I actually tend to do the opposite of what I was describing above.  I tend to study the Bible more and pray more when life isn't going the way I want it to.  I guess this is because my body craves God when I feel helpless.  Like orange juice when I feel a cold coming on.  Speaking of, I'm keeping Simply Orange in business this year.  When life is going well for me, I tend to do less studying and praying; I guess because I'm feeling self sufficient.  When in reality I'm one second away from being drop kicked by life again, and only by God's grace am I able to pick myself up and carry on.  

The message at church yesterday reminded me that when I became a Christian, I accepted Christ Jesus into my heart promising to surrender my ENTIRE life to him.  Every aspect.  Our pastor reminded us of this concept through his preaching from Acts chapter 5 on Ananias and Sapphira.  These two lied to the Holy Spirit fueled by hypocrisy and greed.  They cared more about what man thought of them than what God thought. 

Our pastor made a statement that really resonated with me.  He said the middle of the road is the worst place to be.  That being "lukewarm" is the most dangerous.  This is because these types of people are filled with nothing.  Those that are "cold" are at least at a crossroads where they have the opportunity to choose life or death.  Those that are "hot" are on fire for the Lord and have given every aspect to Him.  But those that are "lukewarm" have let worldly things consume their thoughts, and their relationship with God is on the back burner.

I know that I have a tendency to be one of these people, and I want to make a conscious effort to open up my heart and mind to the Holy Spirit, so I can be filled with His will.  In every aspect of my life.  Even when life is giving me lemons instead of cookies.  Or vice versa.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments!