Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Highly evolved???

So I was watching an episode of Oprah (go figure) the other day, and she had guest parents on the show talking about their transgender 6-year-old.  Yes, I said 6, as in fresh-out-of-kindergarten-just-learned-how-to-tie-a-shoe.....6.  Hailey, formerly known as Harry, was born a completely normal, healthy little boy to two very open minded parents whose sole purpose was to raise happy children who were comfortable being themselves.  That's every parents' goal right?

Well these parents have taken it to a whole new level.  At an early age Harry, now known as Hailey, migrated towards girly things like dolls, nail polish, etc.  These unsuspecting parents thought nothing of it and embraced their child's passions even if it wasn't what you would suspect from a little boy.  Especially one with an older brother who was as boy as they come.  They claim that these feminine characteristics started as early as 2 years old.  Things began to get a little stranger when Harry would depict himself as a girl in every picture that he drew, insist on dressing as a girl and would have Christmas lists consisting of items solely from the little girls' aisle.

Initially his parents just suspected that he was homosexual and even began preparing themselves for what this might mean for their child's future.  Their child's feminine behavior just kept on accelerating, and now they allow their child to go by Hailey instead of Harry, dress as a girl (long hair and all) and exist in society as a girl.  Home, school everywhere.  If you didn't know this family's story you would have no idea who Harry is or was...

Oprah and Lisa Ling kept commenting on how "highly evolved" these parents were to let their child express himself the way that he pleased even if that meant allowing their little boy to be a girl in society even though his anatomy suggests otherwise.  For all intents and purposes these parents are raising a little girl now.  Because that's the way their son, now daughter, feels happiest.

They realize that their "daughter" has a long road ahead with this decision that they have chosen, but they are encouraging her behavior all along the way.  They even showed a clip of Hailey painting over her room pink.

I want to start off by saying that this is so foreign and wrong sounding to me, but at the same time, that I have never had anyone close to me have this issue so it's hard for me to judge something that is so unknown to me.  My thoughts are that number one, God created us as we are and he doesn't make mistakes.  Number two, some might say highly evolved, but I would argue that we are headed down a very slippery slope in society with what is tolerated and even now promoted.  And lastly, yes, people have the freedom to be whatever they want to be and to achieve ultimate happiness, but is really letting this little boy go past pretending to be a little girl to now existing in society as one really going to bring this child happiness?

Your thoughts???

PS  I wish I would have been a Sociology major.      

6 comments:

  1. Understanding this kind of thing is part of the reason I became a psych major :) But I also think that there are tons of underlying spiritual causes under the surface explanations of "born this way" and nobody can be helped unless the spiritual stuff is addressed and resolved.
    There is a christian guy named Sy Rogers who has a cool testimony if you wanna check it out. It's:http://ex-gaytruth.com/encyclopedia/sy-rogers/
    Love ya!

    -Lindley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Crazy. Yeah, I'm with you. It feels so wrong, yet I don't know how to support my case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do not judge the things you do not understand. No one chooses to be misunderstood and different. They just are. No one would purposly put themselves in that situation, especially with all the ridicule that goes along with it. God not only created the person on the outside, but the inside as well. So if he doesn't make mistakes, this isn't one either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would first like to address Lindley. The article you posted is very interesting to me. While I understand the debate in today's society over homosexuality is still a touchy subject, my personal opinion is you were born the way you are. I read the full article that Sy posted and I honestly feel terrible for him. He has had a touch life to travel. However, I do feel as though some of his comments throughout his testimony were a little unnecessary. I personally do not believe homosexuality is a "bad habit" that should be "kicked". I do not believe it is a "bad habit" at all. I believe it is as good of a habit as any because I truly feel a person is born gay or is born straight. And since God makes no mistakes, I don't think it would be a bad habit. Also the site which this testimony is presented humors me. I always love to see people quote exerts from the Bible. Let's take a look shall we? This website takes a verse from Leviticus 18:22. My Bible it says this: "Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with a man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin." It also states in Levitcus 18:8 "Do not have sexual relations with any of your father's wives, for this would violate your father." "Wives". Isn't it looked down upon nowadays to have more than one wife? I believe so. I do not think the church will allow someone to have multiple wives. Moving along, still in Leviticus, we go to the next chapter. Leviticus 19:16 "Do not spead slanderous gossip among your people." I think that is done on a daily basis by everyone. That is something we can control. Take it back to Leviticus 7:23 "...never eat far, whether from cattle, sheep or goats." Pretty sure majority of the population eats fat or uses it as a seasoning. Last one I will discuss is Leviticus 21:5 "The priests must not shave their heads or trim their beards or cut their bodies." I have not seen a priest that has not done this. It is quite funny to me how people take verses out of Books from the Bible to support their opinion but do not look at it in its entirety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now to the post. It is not our place as humans to be the ones who judge others. We are not granted that right. Sadly everyone does judge people from time to time even though we do not have that right. I am even guilty for that. However, it saddens me that people judge transgenders the way they do. Not only is the transgendered community not accepted by the "straight" population they are also not accepted by the "homosexual" population either. I think the parents of this young girl deserve a standing ovation. Not only are they teaching their daughter to be who they want to be they are also practicing what most parents preach but can not preach it. I do not understand why someone would be transgendered. I don't. Do I have a problem with someone that is? Absolutely not. Who am I to judge or tell a person they should not be what they want to be? I have no right or authority to make such accusations. Instead I feel sorrow for such individuals because of how tough their life will be. How they will be turned away from jobs, loans, public areas because of what they are. No one chooses to be that way. No one wants to be the person everyone looks at funny and knows they are being judged. So yes, I applauded these parents for supporting their child. You say that if you didn't know this story they you would have no idea who Harry is or "was". Key word there. Was. Obviously, the parents and the child have decided to do what they believe is best for the child. And to judge them for that is unacceptable. I am not saying you are judging them, but people are. You also say that God created us as we are. Who is to say that she is being just that. She is suppose to be a transgendered woman. Maybe that is what she is SUPPOSE to be. Have you ever thought about that? You use the word "promote"? How can you use that word. I do not know the exact statistics but the percentage of homosexual people that try to commit/commit suicide is significantly higher than those people of the "straight" population. And the percentage of homosexuals that are transgendered are at an even greater risk of committing suicide. So no, I do not believe they are promoting this in anyway. They are raising awareness. There is a difference. They want it to be known that they are not the only ones going through these issues. The news has been full of young teenagers taking their lives because they are being teased and bullied at school for being born homosexuals. This is their way of showing that it is okay to be different. It is okay to be yourself.

    We all need to accept people for who they are. We need to embrace people for who they truly are. Our society would be so much better if we just accepted people and loved everyone unconditional like the Bible says.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some edits:

    "...Never eat "fat" "... I said "far". (1st post)

    I said "what some parents preach but can not preach it". I meant to say "...but can not practice it."

    I know there are more mistakes and I apologize. I have been at work since early this morning and had a 3 hour night class. I should have proofread it better.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments!