Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Food for Thought

Today I thought I'd share some scripture and lyrics that have encouraged me lately in hopes that they might encourage you too.

Luke 12:34  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

This verse really resonated with me.  It's easy to get caught up in the materialistic treasures that society values - successful careers, designer clothes, new cars and expensive homes.  Yet, will we take any of these with us when we die?  No, so why waste our time here on Earth collecting the next best worldly things?  Instead we should be witnessing, paying it forward, giving back and doing all we can to further His kingdom, storing up eternal treasures that truly matter.  Easier said than done, I know.

Matthew 10:8  You have received free of charge; give free of charge.

What makes giving back enticing?  Helping others, yes, but a lot of times the satisfaction comes from the recognition you receive from volunteering.  This is an easy attitude to assume, but it's really not what is desirable to Him.  We were given the gift of eternal life free of charge, and so we should give of ourselves the same way.  Without that instant gratification of someone's appreciation.

I've listened to the song, Human, by Natalie Grant numerous times, but on my run yesterday these lyrics really hit me: 

We are marked with His image
And we are scarred with indifference


Society definitely has scarred us with indifference, but we only have this one life, and why not use it to stand out and honor the One who blessed us with it?  Even if it's not the easiest thing to do.  Tolerance is definitely the new black, but it can oftentimes inhibit us from witnessing for fear of the consequences from straddling that all to comfortable fence.  Like I said, easier said than done but food for thought nonetheless.     

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing your thoughts. you encouraged me and it is great seeing your faith at work!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments!