Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Nutrition Nerd

Yep, that's what I am.  I wouldn't say I put everything I read into action by any stretch of the imagination, but I do love to read about food and how it affects our bodies.  Ever since I got back from Costa Rica, I've been on a bit of a reading rampage - maybe it's because I miss school, maybe it's because I have free time since my stint as a wedding planner has come to a close.  Either way I've been scouring our bookshelves for a good read, and this past weekend I came across You: On A Diet.  Sounds exciting, right?  Not so much, especially considering the subtitle is The Owner's Manual for Waist Management.

But for some reason I love these types of books, and so I'm reading it again.  I wouldn't say this is your typical diet book.  It's scientific and more about anatomy and the cause and effect of foods we put in our mouths rather than than 7 steps on how to fit into size 0 skinny jeans in 7 days.  I personally love it and thought I'd share a few good tips I've read thus far.  Here are the things I've tried - all the while trying to keep simple sugars, high fructose corn syrup and bleached flour out of my pantry.

1.  Substituting sweets with fruit - currently we have cherries, blueberries, peaches, apples and strawberries in our fridge, and we're loving them as snacks.  T is a big fruit fan, so I'll give him credit for this stash.  He's trying to replace my Raisinets, Coffee Ice Cream and Oreos.  The only sweet I'm allowing is a bag of Dove Dark Chocolate in the fridge - I allow myself one in the afternoons, and it seems to satisfy my incurable sweet tooth.

2.  Fiber for breakfast to keep me from wanting to eat lunch at 10:00 AM - this morning I had oatmeal and a peach, and it did the trick.

3.  Red pepper in the morning - it really does keep me from having that intense hunger (probably out of boredom) at about 3 PM.  Just a few slices of raw red pepper (without the ranch dip unfortunately).  Salad dressings are FULL of sugar.

4.  V8 - I bought 12 cans hoping that I would become a fan of it.  But, no, it just doesn't work for me.  I about gagged in the lunch room today, and gave up, tossing the rest in the trash.  Thankfully T loves it, so it won't go to waste.  Guess I'll be sticking to red peppers.

5.  Brown rice!  Using it instead of white rice, bread or some other bad carb for a side still fills you up but is much better for you. 

6.  Peanuts for a snack.  Peanuts and nuts provide you with good fat and protein, and if you eat them 20 minutes before you eat your meal, you'll find that you'll feel full quicker.  I hate my nut allergy which forces me to only be able to eat peanuts.  T seems to think I'm one deprived human being not being allowed to indulge in pistacios.

I could go into the science I've learned from the book on why these tips help you stay away from processed, sugary food, but I won't bore you any longer!  I'll keep the tips coming as I read - basically the book is all about focusing on waist size rather than the scale since it's really the best indicator of your health. 

I've also been trying to cook more - we've been eating a lot of zuchinni, grilled chicken and brown rice around these parts.  G-dog refuses to leave my side when I'm in the kitchen.


 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments!