Thursday, July 14, 2011

Great News

Drum roll please (!!!!!) ..........


Yours truly was mistaken; Skinny Girl Margarita is most definitely in North Carolina.  In fact, I'm enjoying a glass right this minute!  Thank you, Gloria!  Your comment made my day!  I have a feeling I'll keep my fridge stocked with this delicious adult beverage.  I mean, what's better than a guilt free cocktail?  News flash, Bethenny is my idol.

Speaking of guilt free drinks, I made another small change this week.  I'm not a religious coffee drinker, but I do allow myself one trip to Starbucks every week on whatever day I need caffeine the most.  For some reason it always seems to be on Wednesdays; must be my down day.  Anyways, I swapped out my usual Nonfat White Mocha (400 calories) for a Sugar Free Vanilla Soy Latte (170 calories).  Which got me thinking about which is more beneficial - soy milk or skim milk?  So, I did some Internet research, and this was what I found...

Skim has less fat, but soy is better cholesterol wise.  Soy is sweeter (not sure I'm crazy about the taste of it).  Some studies show that soy negatively impacts hormone levels.  Soy is obviously Vegan, so it's an obvious choice for some.  Basically they offer the same nutrients and a very low level of fat, so it looks like a wash to me and really just based on preference.  I don't like the sweet, thick texture of soy, so I think I'll be getting skim next time. 

As far as the swap though, I was just as satisfied from the low calorie drink as I was my usual White Mocha.  I think oftentimes we associate drinks and food with comfort rather than how we actually feel after eating/drinking them.  So why not try the healthier option if it can possibly give you the nostalgia - warm, awakening, etc.? 

I also think it's been beneficial for me to switch my outlook on what I'm eating/drinking.  I think I'm prone to focus on quantity vs. quality.  For example, I would justify a trip to Mellow Mushroom by barely eating anything throughout the day.  When really my body just fasted, causing it to go into survival mode with a death grip on every calorie and gram of fat I consumed between the cheesy garlic bread and pepperoni pizza.  Then washing it down with Diet Coke which only makes you crave sweets.  Talk about a recipe for disaster.  Now don't get me wrong, by Mellow Mushroom trips aren't going away, I just need to be better about portion control because that's what it's all about.  Eating small meals throughout the day to avoid a dinner binge full of carbs and saturated fat. 

Lately I've been reading labels, eating when I'm only truly hungry and being conscious about exactly what I'm putting into my body.  If I can't pronounce it, I probably shouldn't be eating it.  I'm super excited to start Bethenny's book, Naturally Thin.

Have a wonderful weekend, and go get yourself a bottle of Skinny Girl Margarita!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments!