Monday, July 11, 2011

What Works For Me

I'm continuing on this healthier lifestyle journey, taking small steps away from the processed and preserved and steps toward the raw and real.  I'm dragging T along with me one whole wheat bun at a time.  My incredibly generous in-laws gave us an awesome grill as our wedding gift this past weekend, and we used it for the first time tonight!  Hot dogs and zucchini!


I chose whole grain buns instead of white, organic hot dogs and zucchini as our side instead of fries.  I did have some back up barbecue chips for T just in case the greens put him over the edge.  T enjoyed being part of the dinner process, and I loved having this my only responsibility...


We love the grill and can't wait to spend more summer nights experimenting with food!  While we're on the subject, here are some health and fitness concepts that have been working for me lately.

1.  Posture, Posture, Posture.  Constantly think about pulling your belly button into your spine.  While you're sitting at your desk, shampooing your hair in the shower, folding laundry.  Days that I am conscious about my posture and make an effort to sit and stand up straight, I always feel better and more energized.  Another plus is that when doing so you're constantly strengthening your core.  I also find that I have much more endurance while doing cardio if my core is strengthened. 

2.  Fruit and Fiber Breakfasts.  My go to breakfast right now is steel cut oatmeal with my fruit of choice that day.  Cherries, blueberries and peaches have been my favorites lately.  It's a great time to eat your healthy sugars because you have plenty of time to burn off the calories during the day, and the fiber keeps you full, so you don't find yourself starving by 10AM and running to the vending machine.

3.  Morning Workouts.  I've just now gotten back to these, and I'm loving it.  I truly believe that if you exercise in the morning you have better eating habits throughout the day.  If I wait to work out at night, I find myself justifying sweets and carbs throughout the day telling myself I'll burn it off later that night on my run.  And oftentimes after eating all that crap throughout the day, I feel terrible and worn out and don't get around to my workout.

4.  Don't Eat Late At Night.  I have found (and my Mom will vouch for this as well) that not eating after 7PM is a great way to lose those extra 5 pounds you've been shooting for. 

5.  Do What Works For You.  Listen to your body.  Don't eat out of boredom, eat when you're hungry (SO much easier said than done I know).  Don't put yourself on an insane workout schedule with unattainable goals.  If you're not feeling a sweat filled session of cardio, try some yoga or stretching or maybe even just a stroll around the neighborhood.  It's no secret that any type of exercise makes you feel better and refreshes your soul.  So, do what you're body is truly craving and get past those boredom triggers to give yourself what you really need.

These are just some things that are working for me!  Hope they help you as well!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments!