Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A whole lot of random

I hope y'all had a wonderful July 4th weekend!  T and I weren't the most festive of Independence Day celebrators this year.  We were in one of these moods after a long and frustrating work week.  So after a week of being indecisive and flaky about 4th plans, we decided on a trip to Char Grill and an Entourage marathon.

I hate to admit it, but we didn't attend one parade or barbecue.  As a lover of all things holiday, I'm embarrassed to admit that our firework show consisted of the booms we could hear off our back deck and a quick glance at some of the July 4th programs on television.  We were just feeling uninspired with the lack of beach or boat, and the overcrowded pool and traffic just wasn't calling our name.  I guess we could get away with it this year since we don't have kids yet, but we're going to do it big next year for sure (there won't be kids yet - just to make up for this year...to clarify).  A beach or lake with friends and family is guaranteed to be involved.

Having said that, we did take the time to both reflect on and appreciate this wonderful country that we live in.  With endless opportunities and freedom, we're so very proud to call the United States our home.  Thank you to all of the women and men who fought and are still fighting to preserve these luxuries, and may we never take them for granted.  God bless each and every one of you.

Festive or not, I do think that a fruit pizza will be one of our July 4th traditions.  Next year I'll have to use appropriate colors, but for this one I went with what was in season and on sale.



T's Mom even texted me to get the recipe since he told her he liked it better than Krispy Kreme!  If you  only knew how much the husband loved his donuts.  Needless to say, this baby didn't last long in our refrigerator.


Here's the recipe:

For an easy crust just roll out a pack of pre-made sugar cookie dough.  I baked mine for 12 minutes at 350 degrees, but this may vary depending on your oven/cookie sheet, so just go by whatever the label tells you.

For the icing mix 8 oz. of cream cheese, 1/2 cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.  It takes a while to get it smooth, but eventually the sugar does break down the cream cheese.  I let mine sit out in room temperature for a while before I started.

Once the cookie crust cools, you are free to ice it!  We used fresh peaches, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries on ours, and it was delicious!  Just add your fruit after icing the crust, and the pizza tastes best after chilled in your refrigerator.  Enjoy!

Some other highlights from my weekend were...

Legally becoming a Ward even though the long lines at the Social Security office and the DMV felt like an eternity.  It was SO worth it, and just for the record I kept all 4 names.  So now I'm Kathryn Elizabeth Hardee Ward.  I chickened out and didn't drop any of them, but I'll go by Kathryn Ward - they just all felt like a part of me, so I kept them all legally.


My lovely walk and smoothie lunch date on Saturday with Jamie.  If you're in the Raleigh area you need to try out Harmony Farm Cafe's smoothies - we got the Tropical Green, and it was amazing.

Getting my Wake County library card.  It's about time my reading/writing hobby became a little less expensive; especially since I'm a lover of the hardback.


And just spending quality time with the husband.  I think I'll leave our leftover honeymoon getaway car decor be until it falls off on it's own...


Kind of like T's TomKat/5.21.2010 "engagement band" that I had made for him did while he was surfing in Costa Rica.  How appropriate.



Yay for the short work week!  There is also some birthdaying to look forward to this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments!