Thursday, September 8, 2011

Letters to T

Dear Sweet T,

The other day when you surprised me and came up behind me to skateboard and cheer me on for the last mile of my run, I felt so loved.  Thanks to you, I just may live to tell about my half marathon.  Dear Husband, the tables have turned; looks like you're the one with the sweet tooth come 9 PM every evening thanks to this new dessert your parents introduced us to...


Leave it to your Dad to discover every evil flavor of ice cream out there.  Dear Love of My Life, while you were laying in my lap when you got home from work, I could smell the lingering scent of smoke in your hair, and it reminded me of how lucky I am to be married to such a brave and selfless person.  I'm so proud of you, and you inspire me to be a better person every day.  Deary Gnarly Boy, thanks for always taking such good care of Mom and Dad and for always being the best medicine to cure a bad day.

  tonight with Dad

PS  I like to find loopholes in my house "laws" sometimes.  For instance, Gnarly is allowed on the couch if he lays on a beach towel.  My "OCD" is taken down a notch on snow days I suppose.

Today was a rough day.  T's property that he manages had a building catch on fire this morning.  It caused a lot of damage, but luckily everyone made it out safely.  Sadly one of the dogs didn't, and T unfortunately had to watch the entire scene unfold.  One of the fire fighters carried her out and she looked rough but it seemed like she had survived.  T said that once the fireman laid her down she immediately collapsed and died due to smoke inhalation.  T said it was absolutely awful to watch, and all he wanted to do was get home and hug little G-dog when in reality he knew he had to find the owner and break the news to her.

Since T was on the property at the time of the fire, he obviously called the authorities but then ran through the building while they were on their way making sure that everyone had made it out safely.  Needless to say this was way beyond his job description, but that's just the way T is.  He's such a caring person, and I'm so thankful that he is safe too.  I had a bad feeling this morning when I didn't receive the usual text from him, and sure enough a few hours later he filled me in on the fire and the residents, news crew, insurance adjusters, police, fire fighters, Red Cross, disaster relief squad and corporate managers that he would be dealing with for the rest of the day. 

The other sad thing, which I didn't know about renting, is that in the case of a fire or natural disaster the company doesn't necessarily place you in another residence.  It's possible that their only option due to occupancy is to terminate your lease, and some of these people who were displaced didn't have renter's insurance, so they were basically left with nothing.  Luckily for them, my sweet man is going to follow up with everyone and make sure they find some sort of housing via the Red Cross or another relief agency.

We also received sad news from T's Mom about one of her relatives whose wife passed away this week.  She was doing mission work in Haiti and came down with a fever a few nights ago and was found the next morning after she had already passed away.  They're trying to find out the cause of death currently.  Please keep the family in your thoughts and prayers as well as everyone who was affected by the fire.     

Days like today remind me how life can change in an instant, and how important it is to live in the moment with appreciation for every second you have with the ones you love and everything that you're blessed with.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments!