Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Autumn Eye Candy

I spent this past weekend in the lovely Boone, NC with my Mama.  Luckily for me it was peak weekend!  It doesn't get better than this...








my sweet, beautiful Mama

To top it off we enjoyed a post-hike lunch of Mellow Mushroom and oops... Diet Coke.  When in Rome.  Or should I say, when in downtown Blowing Rock, with Mom, eating delicious pizza, on the deck, under gorgeous, falling leaves.  Which I would venture to say kicks Rome's butt.



Needless to say it was a wonderful weekend.  There's something magical about Boone.  I don't know if it's the town itself or because it's home and where I grew up.  Regardless, every time I visit, the atmosphere heightens my sense of appreciation for the simple things, slows down my pace and causes my heart to overflow with gratitude.  Gratitude for my family, God's creation and the things in life that really matter.  Every time I visit...never fails.  

Another thing that I love about Boone is the multitude of genuinely nice people.  I know Raleigh is still the South, but the charm in this city doesn't hold a candle to the people in Boone.  On our hike and during our 5K, every time we would pass someone, we always got a kind smile, wave and hello which is something you take for granted when you live there.  Or at least I did.  In Raleigh, I smile, wave and say hello while running on trails or in the neighborhood only to get a blank stare or a confused why-are-you-so-cheery look.  The friendly way about Boone is so endearing.  

       
It's always bittersweet to head back to Raleigh after my time in Boone.  I'm so thankful for my new home, family, city and friends, but the mountains will always have a piece of my heart.  Whenever I spread myself too thin, take myself too seriously or am in need of a new perspective, I can always count on my first home to help see life through a different lens.  A more grateful one.

A special thanks to my Mama and brother, Cal, for a perfect weekend.  Don't worry, Cal, I'm back on the Diet Cokeless wagon.  Love you both to pieces!   

2 comments:

  1. love the pictures. i miss boone, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn I totally agree with your sentiments about Boone. Driving to the High Country is so easy...leaving isn't. Spending time with friends, gives me a refreshing attitude. Don't get me wrong, I love my TN mtns and home. However, I treasure my times in Boone. Thank you for expressing my thoughts so gracefully.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments!