Friday, December 16, 2011

Mama's Famous Recipes

I'm sitting here drinking a cold beer with husband waiting on my sweet brother and his girlfriend to get here.  I'm so excited to spend the weekend with them!  I'm hoping they haven't finished their Christmas shopping because I someone to get my booty in gear.  AKA, to brave the mall with me.

I thought I would post my Mom's famous recipes (thanks for letting me share, Mama!) that I promised while I wait!  It's funny, instead of a cookbook, I reference this stack of e-mails filled with recipes from my Mom.


I'll be sitting at work on any given day, trying to come up with something to make for dinner, a party, etc., and so knowing she'll never disappoint, I'll shoot her a quick e-mail asking for help.  Usually followed up with a call from the grocery store later that night asking something like, "Where the heck do they keep the vanilla extract???".  So here are a few of my favorite Christmas treats that I've enjoyed during the holiday season for as long as I can remember.  She's given me one heck of a jump start when it comes to holiday-goodie-making traditions.


Chex Mix

Preheat oven to 250 degrees

1 stick butter
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1-2 tablespoons Lawry's seasoned salt
6 cups Rice Chex
3 cups Corn Chex
2-3 Cups Wheat Chex
Pretzels
Cocktail peanuts

Melt butter in large roasting pan
Mix Worcestershire sauce and seasoned salt
Add Chex, pretzels and peanuts
Mix until thoroughly coated
Bake for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes
Cool on paper towels


White Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

Melt 2 bags of white chocolate chips in microwave at 1 minute intervals, stirring well in between - usually takes about 2 1/2 minutes
Assemble peanut butter crackers (2 sleeves of Ritz Crackers for every 2 bags of white chocolate chips is usually how it works out)
Using tongs, coat peanut butter crackers completely in melted white chocolate
Let harden on wax paper


Haystacks

Melt 2 bags of butterscotch chips in microwave at 1 minute intervals, stirring well in between - usually takes 2 1/2 minutes
Mix in about 3 cups of Chow Mein Noodles and 1 cup of cocktail peanuts into melted butterscotch chips
Scoop out spoonfuls and let harden on wax paper

Enjoy, and have a wonderful weekend!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments!